“Kunga” is a Rwandan word meaning “to serve, help, or reconcile”. The mission of all Kunga Yoga programs is to offer the teachings of yoga as a path of service to the planet, its people, and all beings. The heart of all Kunga Yoga programs is to encourage, inspire, and support healthy living, community building, volunteering, fundraising and positive activism.
The word “Kunga” was chosen in honor of and inspired by a group of children that we had the honor of working with, the Mizero orphans of the Rwandan genocide. Our mission is supported by three primary platforms: Kunga Yoga public classes, the Kunga Yoga Teacher Training School, and Kunga Journeys service-based fundraising yoga retreats. All 3 platforms are offered at multiple yoga studios and locations across the globe.
The vision of Kunga Yoga is to connect cultures by inspiring and training individuals to approach their yoga practice and lifestyle choices as an opportunity to serve others, to encourage healthy communities, and to inspire positive activism. We work diligently to connect volunteers, donors, yoga students, and yoga teachers with non-profits and local and communities in need.
Our Ten Core Values
Our core values reflect what we believe in and these values are the underpinning of all that we do and create. We believe that these values are universal and that ultimately all people have the same desire to live a life of contribution, service, healing, and community. These values are the heart and soul of all Kunga programs.
- We value Community
- We value Fun!
- We value Movement
- We value the Healing & Performing Arts
- We value Kindness & Compassion
- We value Optimal Health-of our Minds, Bodies & our Planet
- We value Integrity
- We value Non-Violent Communication
- We value Balance
- We value Quality
Our Ten Core Beliefs and Actions
- We believe in utilizing the powerful tools of Yoga and the Healing and Performing Arts to connect cultures
- We believe in practicing Healthy Lifestyle choices for ourselves, our communities and our planet
- We believe in taking Responsibility for our choices and actions
- We believe in creating Social Change
- We believe in Honoring our Environment and all of its inhabitants
- We believe in Supporting All Beings in meeting their basic needs
- We believe that through connecting those from different cultures, backgrounds, and beliefs we can contribute to more Peace and Understanding
- We believe in the practices of Non-Violent Communication and peaceful conflict resolution
- We believe in creating and supporting Communities that share our mission
- We believe in Organizing and Inspiring Positive Activism